Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Lost Age of Glamour...

 
Capucine...shift, gloves, pearls, ballerina brooch...

 
Grace Kelly...swathes of silk satin or tulle, pearls, gloves....

 
Brigitte Bardot...swathes of lace and ribbon, patent leather T-Bar heels, cashmere sweater....
 
 
Barbara Feldon who rocked a beret and trench...
 
Ladies. In our rush to have more, be more, do more....we've forgotten to be glamorous. I love going to Paris and seeing everyone frou-frou-ed up. I love that even the Senior Citizens in Paris match their hair to their suit to their bag to their shoes to their lippy. I love that people dress to walk down the stairs to the Boulangerie...just because it's nice to dress...for self and for onlookers.
 
One of the most memorable things I saw in Paris, was on a walk from the Louvre to Sacre Coeur on a quiet Sunday afternoon, and it wasn't the Eiffel Tower. A divine young woman floated past us in a full tulle skirt, cashmere sweater a la` Brigitte Bardot, and patent ballet flats, tote over shoulder, and immaculately groomed in that way that only the French have mastered. That glowing, healthy, 'glad to be alive', fresh faced, shiny haired thing they have going on is enviable. How DO they do it?
 
Well. They care. Day in, day out. They care.
 
We Aussies get a bit lacksadaisical sometimes. A tan and a shimmery lip gloss only goes so far. When one reaches my age, a tan and a shimmery lip gloss may be okay for Noosa, but not for HERE.
 
I'm going glam this year. I deserve it. And I want my daughter to see that being ....cough...old, doesn't have to mean trackie dacks and Bonds hoodie or 3/4 pants and Millers t-shirts *shudder*....

I'm making this dress. I like it. It's a bit Audrey Hepburn. I'm still deciding on the fabric. Any suggestions?
 
I'll wear it with a flower in my hair, pearls at my earlobes, and bling on my wrists.
 
Patent ballet flats and vintage bag, obligatory my dear.
 
I might even show you a photo ;-)
 
....kisses...

2 comments:

  1. Mimi, the dress is stunning. What an incredible pattern. What about delustred satin, it is sort of matte, but still has the handle of a thick satin. Lovely for day wear or night. You must stick with a pastel colour, though! I will make your corsage. :D still waiting for our play-date at Stafford...
    Thinking a linen too, with a bit of calenderisation for slight sheen? But worried about resilience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS a bit of awesomeness, isn't it? I love delustered satin, and pastels are my thing. I'm looking for just the right shade of gelati coloured 'something'. Linen, I adore, but maybe not enough body for this one? Thankyou for your thoughts...I'll update soon...x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx